Staying motivated is not something that is a constant, especially in your career and in the office. It’s something that you have to be cognizant of and continuously work on. Regardless of your career, there will always be a fluctuation in your level of motivation. If and when you find yourself in a lull, the question becomes, how do you get back on track?
For those times when you need to jump start your motivation level, here are some things to think about that can help you get there:
- Focus on completing the tasks that will deliver the most rewarding results. It’s always great to feel like you have accomplished something at the end of the day.
- Try not to pigeon hole yourself by focusing on one activity or only leveraging one of your skills. There are always multiple tasks, goals or deliverables on any given day. If you are getting bogged down with one activity, switch it up a little.
- Remember recent accomplishments. Being in a rut is almost always a downer, at least for me. Think about what actions led to rewarding results recently and remember how good that felt. Go get it again.
- Seek feedback from your manager or peers. Getting positive feedback on your work always feels good. Constructive criticism can also help you improve.
- Step away. Taking time off work is a must and very healthy. Sometimes clearing your mind for a little R&R can be just what you need to come back refreshed and hit it hard.
If you possess an attitude where you know working hard while motivation is high will lead to great results, then it’s just a matter of time before you break out of any funk that you are in. Anything less becomes unacceptable.