I know that it comes as a grave disappointment that this will be my final UDig blog post of 2013. It has been a fast year in many ways and it is painfully obvious to me that the years seem to go by faster the older I get. From a purely business sense, I thought that I might use this space to reflect just a bit about the year that was and, towards the end of this post, perhaps look forward into the 2014 crystal ball as well.
2013 will go on record as the first complete calendar year of the re-launched UDig Northern Virginia Office and my first year completed the company. We’re proud of what we’ve been able to tangibly accomplish during that time:
- Fulfillment of more than fifty (50) new hires and counting for a demanding and diverse client roster
- Transacted business with sixteen (16) different customers within the NoVA office during the past twelve months
- Opened a new UDig NoVA office space along Data Center Corridor in Ashburn, VA. (Please visit us at 43490 Yukon Drive, #208 in Ashburn!)
- Introduced the UDig brand to new faces and places via the completion of more than three-dozen team blog posts, collectively participating in nearly fifty (50) local networking events, extensive social media touch points via LinkedIn, Facebook, etc., and sponsorship of a local Fortune 500’s company golf tournament among many other public-facing activities.
Beyond the facts and the stats, UDig NoVA has worked hard to solve client problems. Working differently – collaboratively – with our customers we have formed reciprocal partnerships to:
- Build a Project Management Organization (Program and Project Management level leadership, fully supported by a substantial team of Project Coordinators/Administrators) for one of the world’s largest predictive data analytics companies
- Engage niche technology specialists over and over again to fulfill the classic purple squirrel needs where competitors had either fallen short or simply given up
- Evaluate the viability of a near-shore, Central American software development center as a complimentary delivery approach for a Fortune500 client
- Provide the technology staff to help redesign and deliver a new standard in academic testing; UDig is one of five (5) “inner circle” vendors to lead the staffing initiatives required to launch a new battery of tests by March 2015
- Build a recognizable brand name. UDig has earned its solid reputation in the markets where it is already well established – particularly our Richmond headquarters – and it’s no small task to duplicate that reputation here in NoVA. This will take time, of course, but we’re on the way.
All of this aside, we’ll take only a quick breath to reflect on a rapid-fire Year #1 in NoVA before getting serious about 2014 and our growth plans which include:
- Selectively growing our internal staff and commercial client presence by adding the right business development managers and technical recruiters in Q1 2014
- Transacting business with not less than ten (10) additional, new customers during the upcoming four (4) quarters
- Exploring the possibility of establishing a business unit dedicated to supporting our Federal Government and affiliated, partnered systems integrators; UDig is already a site-cleared firm and leveraging that designation is a big opportunity in 2014. The Federal Government, after all, is the world’s largest employer and a company in the technology staffing space should do what it can to support that employer.
- Showcasing the talent within our office as different and better than those in our competitive space (plan on that blog post in Q1 !)
Between now and then, a very safe and happy holiday season to everyone, with sincere thanks for your support during my first full year with UDig here in Northern Virginia. Talk to you in January!