SharePoint and the Microsoft Graph | Part 2

Microsoft Graph

In part 1 of this series, we left off with configuring the proper application registration within our Azure Active Directory service. Ensuring the proper settings are in place will help alleviate headaches later on when we actually begin to implement our application.

One current issue with integrating the Microsoft Graph into SharePoint is the ability to properly authenticate the user against the application in Azure. Thankfully, there is a JavaScript library that does most of the heavy lifting for authentication.

My technique for including this library is to add it to the site’s master page. This allows the library to be available to any application without having to worry about extra code within the page using either the script editor or content editor.  You can also use the library (which is called the Active Directory Authentication Library, or ADAL) from this CDN:

https://secure.aadcdn.microsoftonline-p.com/lib/1.0.0/js/adal.min.js

Here is a screenshot of the CDN located within my master page:

Now we need to integrate the proper scripts into our code to make our employee directory work properly. To do this, I planned on creating a single .js file and integrate that file into the page using the Content Editor Web Part.

Here is the first part of the code that requires information from the Azure application we registered:

(function () {
     "use strict";

var subscriptionId = "XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX";

//This variable requires the subscription ID from your actual Azure subscription (you can find a helpful tutorial about it here: https://purerandomcode.wordpress.com/2015/04/17/how-to-azure-subscription-id-in-the-new-azure-portal/)

var clientId = "xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx";
     //You need to place your Azure application’s application ID in the clientId variable.
  window.config = {
    subscriptionId: subscriptionId,                
    clientId: clientId,    
    postLogoutRedirectUri: window.location.origin,
    endpoints: {
      graphApiUri: 'https://graph.microsoft.com'
    },
    cacheLocation: 'localStorage' // enable this for IE, as sessionStorage does not work for localhost.
  };
  var authContext = new AuthenticationContext(config);  
  // Check For & Handle Redirect From AAD After Login
  var isCallback = authContext.isCallback(window.location.hash);
  authContext.handleWindowCallback();   
  if (isCallback && !authContext.getLoginError()) {
    window.location = authContext._getItem(authContext.CONSTANTS.STORAGE.LOGIN_REQUEST);
  }

Here is the next part of the code, this should not need to be altered at all:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As you can see, towards the bottom of the code, there is a simple AJAX call to the graph API URI. Once we get to the success portion of our AJAX call, it works just like any other kind of AJAX call that you may use with the SharePoint REST API.

For example, here is the rest of the code that I used to implement my organization’s employee directory application:

var object = data.value;
          for (var i = 0; i < object.length; i++) {
            //Change '-' to '.' for both mobile numbers
            if(object[i].mobilePhone == null){
                var m2 = object[i].mobilePhone;
            }
            else{
            var m = object[i].mobilePhone;
            var m1 = m.toString();
            var m2 = m.replace(/-/g,'.');
            }
            //Change '-' to '.' for business numbers
            if(object[i].businessPhones == ''){
                var o2 = object[i].businessPhones;
            }
            else{
            var o = object[i].businessPhones;
            var o1 = o.toString();
            var o2 = o1.replace(/-/g,'.');
            }
            var name = object[i].displayName;
            var lowerName = name.toLowerCase();
            if(object[i].mail == null || object[i].jobTitle == null){
                //Do nothing 
            }
                else {
            var employee = `
              <span class="listSearch"><div class="ms-Grid-col ms-sm12 ms-md6 ms-lg6 ms-xl6 ms-xxl4 empCard">
              <div class="cardContent">
                <p class="empName" style="line-height:1.2;" id="`+ lowerName +`"><span style="display:none">` + lowerName + `</span> `+ object[i].displayName +`<br/>
                <span class="jobTitle">`+ object[i].jobTitle +`</span></p>
                <p class="empLocation">`+ object[i].officeLocation +`</p>
                <p style="line-height:100%">
                    O: <span class="empPhone"><a href="tel:`+ o2 +`">`+o2+`</a></span><br/>
                    M: <span class="empPhone"><a href="tel:`+ m2 +`">`+ m2 +`</a></span><br/>
                    E: <span class="empPhone"><a href="mailto:`+ object[i].mail +`">`+ object[i].mail +`</a></span>
              </p></div></div></span>
            `;
            $('#employeeDirectory').append(employee);
          }     
          }
      },
    }).fail(function () {
      console.log('Fetching files from AD Failed.');
    });

I placed some extra code for formatting the phone numbers the right way as well as placing the ability to filter names based on a string entered into a search box on the page. The expanded form of this code is found on my GitHub page here:

https://github.com/talon2king/EmployeeDirectoryTutorial

Here is a view of what my organization’s employee directory looks like fully implemented (information has been blurred on purpose):

Here is the view of the same directory from a mobile phone:

The code that I used was an adaptation of the code found here:

https://nickvandenheuvel.eu/2016/01/06/authenticate-an-office-365-user-with-adal-js/

–Joshua King 

 

< Back to Blogs